Dystopian future

I really love reading dystopian future books. I loved the Hunger Games and Divergent, which were both made into movies. But I find that I don't really like the movies as much as I like the books. The pictures in my head are scary enough... I don't need ones on a big screen to scare me more! I just finished one that I had never heard of, but was available for the Kindle from my local public library (always a good thing, free books). It was called SYLO by D. J. MacHale. It's the story of a boy named Tucker who lives on an island off the coast of Maine. He and his parents moved there 5 years ago from the mainland because his dad was downsized from a corporate job. Tucker believes that you shouldn't really work too hard because in his experience, hard word doesn't really pay off. He also feels like he doesn't really fit in because most of the families on the island have been there for generations and he moved there only 5 years ago. A series of really strange things happen that turn Tucker's world completely upside down and makes him question every single thing he knows. It's very exciting and full of lots of plot twists and action. I couldn't put it down. Here's a book trailer about it. I also read one a couple of weeks ago that was recommended by the completely amazing author, Lisa Graff. I met her at the April is for Authors event in Palm Beach County and she was telling me about this book she was reading that she could not put down. She was right on! It's called the Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey. It's about an alien invasion of Earth and how it comes in waves. The author starts in the 5th wave but flashes back to show you what happened during the other waves and how the fifth wave actually came to be. It is super suspenseful and leaves you wondering if maybe we haven't already started the first wave... Here's a book trailer about it. I read the City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau a few months back. It's about two kids who are not really friends who live in a city called Ember. The city is very isolated and they seem to be running out of everything (including energy and food) without any real plan for how they might get more. The two kids start putting things together, that maybe there is a way to get out of Ember, although the powers that be seem to think getting out is a very bad idea. This one takes longer to build up and the ending felt a little like a beginning (I'm sure there are more in the series but I haven't worked hard enough to find the rest of the them). How's your book a day challenge going? I've slowed down a bit because we've been traveling but I think the pace is going to pick back up again. Happy reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming attractions in middle grade fiction!

A new adventure!

Sparkly brand new speculative fiction for middle graders!