New middle grade fiction

I haven't forgotten how to write a blog post.  At least I hope not.  I know it's been a long time since I did, but I finished my term as a member of the Sunshine State Young Reader Jr. Award committee (three years and a LOT of picture books, which I was NOT supposed to blog about).  I feel a little adrift (no boxes on my front door step every day!  No stacks of books that need to read and reviewed! ) it's a little sad, but also, freeing-I can read whatever I want!  I can put books I don't like down and never pick them up again! I read GROWNUP BOOKS.  I'm trying not to let it go to my head.  But I've found my way back to some middle grade fiction that are just coming out (thanks Netgalley!) and there are some really fun ones.

The first one is called The Library of Ever by Zeno Alexander.  It's about plucky little Lenora, who although she has very rich and inattentive parents and an inattentive nanny, really wants a JOB.  One day, the nanny wants to check her phone in peace so they end up at the library (one of Lenora's favorite places).  Lenora takes a bit of a wrong turn and ends up with a job in the library.  Of course, she doesn't start off as a full fledged librarian.  She starts as "Fourth Assistant Apprentice Librarian".  Unsurprisingly, Lenora is very good at her job, which is what makes this book so much fun.  The tasks that Lenora must complete are funny and wildly adventurous.  At the same time, she's fighting the evil dark forces that want everyone to be ignorant.  The whole book feels like an old fashioned mystery story.  I really enjoyed it and I think my students are going to like this one a lot too.  


The second title is Where the Heart is by Jo Knowles.  The book opens with Rachel wondering why no one has remembered her 13th birthday.  She often feels a bit misunderstood (birthday presents that appear to make someone else happier than her or people interpreting what she said differently than what she meant).  She's starting summer vacation worried about money (her parents seem to be struggling with money as well as with their marriage) as well as middle school and friendship worries.  Her best friend Micah would like to have a romantic relationship and Rachel isn't really feeling that for him.  When she starts exploring other romantic type relationships, Micah is angry and Rachel worries that their friendship might be compromised for good.  Rachel is a really kind person, including her younger sister when they go to the beach as well as helping to care for the animals.  I really liked all the different places this book went-ethical treatment of animals, exploring romantic relationships, dealing with poverty and money issues.  I also think the book has the potential for some great conversation starters about change-the changes you can anticipate as well as the ones you don't see coming and how you cope with the new realities you're faced with.  This is going to be a good one for my library. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming attractions in middle grade fiction!

A new adventure!

Sparkly brand new speculative fiction for middle graders!